How to make an adjustable height standing desk from Ikea for under $70


All other standing Ikea desk hacks move aside...

It seems like I've been searching for the perfect way to build or add on a standing height addition to the desk in my office. The problem was that all of the currently posted hacks on the internet are not adjustable to different heights. This non-adjustable issue has been the main problem for me not moving forward because they don't raise high enough. I'm 6' tall. A few years ago I tried putting some short little legs under the two cabinets on my ikea desk to raise it up to a standing height, and the legs were too short. So, it was uncomfortable to type and use the computer all day. Plus, I didn't really have the option to sit anymore if I needed to. I had searched the net far and wide to find a DIY adjustable standing desk hack using Ikea products to match my existing office furniture. I could not find one, so i set out to make my own, and make my own I did. 

The concept was simple: 

Ikea makes an adjustable table leg, the Olov leg. Is there a way to shorten this leg and make it adjustable?

Answer: YES!

Here is what you will need:

     4 - Ikea Olov adjustable table legs ($15 each)
            Link to Olov Leg (USA)

     Ikea table top of your choice, I went with the small LINNMON top. its currently $8.99

     Measuring tape
     
     Metal cutting hacksaw, or high powered electric saw with a metal cutting blade

     Protective eye-wear, safety glasses



Step 1: Disassemble the Olov Legs


This is pretty simple. If you twist the inner tube of the leg so it slides up and down, you can simply pull the inner tube right out of the larger outer tube. Then, you will need something small to pop the black floor protecting cap out from the inside of the inner adjustable leg. I used a pocket knife.


Step 2: Measure and mark the outer leg tube from the top (the end that screws into the table).

As you can see, I have the leg in the picture above marked at 14" from the end with the screw in the top. This actually proved to be too long, and too high after a few days use, and I had to cut an extra 2" off to get it exactly right. So, you may need to customize the measurement lengths of this hack to best fit your body. I estimated on the taller side when making my measurements just to be safe.

Step 4: Cut the outer tube to length
  *Make sure to wear your protective eye wear before cutting. 


  Again, make sure to wear your protective eye wear before cutting any of the tubes. I used an electric miter saw to make the cuts, it worked okay. I have used a table saw in the past, and it made very nice and straight cuts on Ikea legs. the metal dust will get everywhere, so keep your shop vacuum handy for cleanup. and it will spark when cutting, so make sure nothing flammable is around and use caution or adult supervision. You can recycle the bottom half of the outer tube. You don't need it.


Step 5: Measure and mark the inner legs to height 





Now that the outer tubes are cut to length, grab a full length inner tube and slide it back into the shortened outer tube to measure where to cut the adjustable inner leg to. I pushed the inner leg all the way to the top, and then marked the inner leg as pictured above. Then slide the inner leg back out of the outer tube and mark the other 3 legs in the same location to be cut. 

Step 6: Cut the inner adjustable legs to your marked height:



Same process you used to cut the outer tubes. You are just shortening the inner legs with these cuts. So, you can see at this point we have just simply shortened the Olav adjustable leg system!


Now you can tap in the caps to the bottom of the inner legs we took out in step 1.

Step 7: Final assembly and adjusting to height:


Add silver plates to the table top, then screw your modified legs into the mounting brackets


I picked up these hook and loop stickers at the dollar store. i placed the fuzzy side on the table legs to prevent the legs from scratching my desk. I also could use the other side to better hold the legs in one place on my desk. but so far its been very sturdy without them.




That's really it! you can put your new standing desk on top of your existing desk and start to adjust the height. To lock the inner leg in place, you simply twist it until it holds tight. do this to all 4 legs, make sure you are solid, and then add your laptop or PC. Done!


     


Comments

Post a Comment